Friday, March 30, 2007

Cat Torture: The Surprising Benefits

Cats are finicky. I know what a bombshell. They love to have their heads scratched and their backs stroked but they do not like a person to touch their stomach or paws. Doing so could earn you a new scar. But could routinely annoying your cat by touching these sensitive areas be beneficial?

Absolutely and not just to get even with them! A cat may bleed you on a good day for touching his paw but what happens to you when he has a splinter in it that causes him pain? I’d rather not think about how you’ll look after you try to remove it! You could practice touching their paws and stomachs when they’re healthy or have good medical coverage for that trip to the ER!

I “torture” my cats daily. When they’re curled up sleeping next to me I hold their outstretched paw in my hand. Practice means that I can stroke the top of their paws a bit before they pull away. This was very handy when Friday injured his paw a few months ago. Because he trusts me, I was able to hold his paw and examine it closely. It required a trip to the vet in the end but not because I needed help determining the injury.

To gain claw-free access to the stomach I wait until my cat is on his side or back. Then, I scratch in between his front legs on his chest. I have met many cats who like this. Once they’re comfortable with this action I slowly run my hand over their stomach being sure to stop immediately if they start to react. Then, I leave the stomach alone and begin scratching again. Over time, I can pet their stomachs more. In Hemmy’s case, there’s a lot of stomach to pet!

All of this practice means I can be the first “responder” to one of my cats should they become ill or injured. Hemmy is my accident-prone child so I spend extra time working with him. I never know when we’ll make another emergency trip to the vet so it pays to be prepared.

I hope you’ll adopt my torture policy too! I’d hate for you to pay for a trip to the vet and a trip to the ER all on the same day!

4 comments:

Jan said...

Jennifer, What do you think about a cat that loves his paws scratched? Eddie will actually spread his toes open whide when we scratch the tender inside of his paws. It's comical to see. Oh.....you may have the answer for this one. When we scratch Eddie along his spine, he throws his head back and starts licking the air! He closes his eyes, moves his head from side to side(sortof looks like Steveie Wonder lol)....and his tongue is licking out until we stop. It's a riot!

Anonymous said...

滿...............................................

Poker Cards said...

And there is a similar analogue?

Anonymous said...


ing course Si Nuo overcomes arena " very small when, two cousin that are me at first go together billiards room plays, just see them play in those days, feel table tennis desk is very beautiful, the ball on the desk multicoloured is very flowery, feel table tennis is very amused. " Zhu Ying answers recall when the experience that overcomes become attached to with Si Nuo, a lot of people think table tennis is the play that street Bian Xiaohun mixes play only at that time, nevertheless, in [url=http://wholesalenikeshoes.page4.me/]cheap jordans for sale[/url] Zhu Ying's eye, she thinks she is brought up in healthy table tennis atmosphere as a child, "The table tennis environment that I feel I am located is very healthy, without undesirable element. " gradually, zhu Ying also begins to play table tennis slowly, and this gent moves make the way of the decompression when she reads for a time, "Tall 3 when, read everyday pressure is very great, there is a spherule house on the side of the school, can hit half hours to loosen the mood midday. " from have deep love for table tennis to arrive become table tennis judge, it seems that very naturally walked up to execute the law the post that Sinuokebi surpasses. But Zhu Ying says, be not everybody to approve her idea: "I have a particularly good friend, although she knows I like to play table tennis, but to this motion has bias, I let she and me be hit together when high school, I am accompanied to hit after she promises the university entrance exam, but up-to-date, she did not cash acceptance, so I can understand the bias of some people. " character of Zhu Ying laugh, although had not hit a ball with this good friend up to now, "Those who rejoice is, want to have the competition that I execute the law only now, she can be watched, support me silently " . Speak of in one's childhood ideal, zhu Ying laughs at character: "In one's childhood the teacher has asked, I answer the job that says to want to try to differ at that time, because I feel I pay no attention to solution to those professions, what can I say to want to do casually? " Zhu Ying's disposition from small show. But she is compensatory later say, oneself had wanted to open nursery school, beadhouse, become model worker, "I or pretty want to choose a profession that has the capacity, for instance lawyer doctor... think now, the judgment also is a profession that has the capacity " . Be born at Shanghai 80 hind Zhu Ying, was graduated from heat energy of college of Shanghai grain industry and dynamical project major 2004. Those who have 1.76 meters is tall choose a figure, add the external form that provides temperament quite, a lot of people think, so outstanding condition suits to become model, however Zhu Ying had never thought however, "In one's childhood I very boy disposition, beautiful to the female content does not have a concept at all, do not like to wear high-heeled shoes " . After graduation, the first job of Zhu Ying is to make exhibition trade, "It is to suffer media effect at first, media is being public