Monday, April 2, 2007

Easter's Gone to the Cats




Easter is one of my favorite times of the year. It heralds the arrival of spring and fills you up with picnic lunches but what I like about Easter most are egg hunts. When I was a kid I loved to try to find the most eggs. I usually didn’t but it was fun anyway. As I’ve grown older I’ve found that I enjoy hiding the eggs more than hunting them but I still have just as much fun as I did when I was a kid.

Perhaps you are like me and the only “kids” you have possess twice the typical number of legs. Since I enjoy Easter so much, I decided to celebrate it with my children: Hemmy, Friday and Kit. We had our own kitty cat Easter egg hunt. Of course, we didn’t actually use eggs and we kept it indoors but we had just as much fun as any “real” egg hunt I’ve ever been on.

In place of the eggs, we used cat treats. I selected the most aromatic from our cache and “hid” them inside of various cat toys. I put a couple in a cardboard box with Smacking Holes see Cat Toys and Your Bank Account. I put some in the track of a scratching post that has a little ball that runs around it; and I put some inside a plastic laundry basket. They had no trouble finding the treats but they did have a few challenges when it came to getting the treats.

Hemmy was the funniest. He knew there were treats in the laundry basket but he couldn’t fit his paw through the slits on the sides. He pushed it all over the room with his paws and his teeth. He was so desperate to get the treats that it never occurred to him to get inside of the basket. Friday had no trouble overcoming the obstacle. He hopped in the basket and beat Hemmy to the prize. Kit was lady-like when she scooped a treat from the scratching post and ate it delicately from her paw. She can afford to be gentile. The boys know she’ll smack them in the head if they bother her food!

All the cats are sound asleep. They wore themselves out in the hunting. I can’t wait to do it again tomorrow!

No comments: